Newcomer Kitchen Contract Position for IRCC funded “Facilitated Food Entrepreneurship Training Program”
Newcomer Kitchen NFP is an organization providing social and economic opportunity for newcomer women. Our “Willing To Work” food entrepreneurship training program provides newcomer women the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of different kinds of low risk/small scale food entrepreneurship models. This innovative program allows the participants to earn while they learn through event based programming.
We are looking for a dynamic, organized and reliable part-time Program Coordinator (24-32 hours per week) with proven initiative and exceptional follow-through to deliver both an in-person and a hybrid training program. The ideal candidate must be a team player with the ability to work independently.
This short term contract (6.5 months) position commences on Sept 20th 2021 and goes until March 31 2022. Pay is $26 per hour for 24- 32 hours per week. (Tuesdays, Thursdays and one more TBD). Occasional weekend or evening hours required. (Contract extension contingent on funding)
The Coordinator is responsible for running twice weekly lessons on-line (5-6 hours each) with approximately 6 participants to plan and execute several profit-sharing, food-related events. This person must also be available twice a month to supervise the in person production of food in a commercial kitchen to ensure health and safety measures are observed. Events range from prepared take out meals to catered dinners (approx 100) to farmers markets and cooking classes.
The Coordinator is also responsible for teaching a basic food business curriculum in a clear and engaging manner to newcomer women with entrepreneurship interests.
The curriculum includes skills such as budgeting, costing, sales and marketing, branding etc for which basic materials are provided. Often the participants do not have fluent English so patience and creativity in communication is key.
This is a start-up pilot project that requires flexible thinking, adaptability, confidence and resilience. We are looking for a person who inspires others to succeed.The Coordinator provides both administrative and hands on support for the various activities.
Job description- Roles and Responsibilities
- Facilitate/teach program activities for participants including classes on basic budgeting, food production, customer service standards, recording recipes, shopping lists etc..
- Oversee food production in commercial kitchen to ensure quality of food and health safety regulations. (up to 100 meals)
- Facilitate and execute all entrepreneurial sales events (4 times per term)
- Provide feedback on materials and progress of group for each module
- Record keeping of expenditures and work within budget.
- Participate in planning meetings with management
- Inputting and reporting metric data on Government portal to track participants activities
- Act as a liaison between Newcomer Kitchen , the participants and the stakeholders, promoting both the program and the Organization.
Requirements: Must Haves
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable teaching small groups of newcomer women (strong activation and animation skills)
- 3 + years experience in Event Planning/Food Entrepreneurship
- Experience working with second language learners
- Demonstrated Administrative/Organizational abilities
- Solid knowledge of basic food business practices and production
- Strong social media skills
- International food culture interest
- Fluent English both written and spoken
- Demonstrated experience in supporting the cultivation and implementation of community events
- Requirements: Nice to Haves
- Experience with commercial food production
- Food Handler Certification
- Own Vehicle
- Teaching experience with ESL or other
- Cross cultural experience
Newcomer Kitchen is committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion. We are committed to a workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. Outside of Canada experience is welcome.
Deadline for Applications: Sept 8, 2021
Potential candidates will contacted for an interview by Sept 10th, 2021.
Starting date; Sept 22nd, 2021