Position: Youth Facilitator – Arabic Speaking
Term: Full-time – 35 hours per week, September 2021 – March 2022
Reports to: Manager of Youth Services (YOCISO)
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
Support immigrant and refugee youth with their settlement and integration journey by providing them support and services that would facilitate their successful integration into Canadian society and support them to become active and engaged citizens.
- Design and deliver educational workshops on various topics for newcomer youth virtually and through face to face services
- Conduct outreach, recruitment and onboarding of newcomer youth
- Plan, organize, and facilitate social support groups and recreational activities for high school and elementary newcomer students.
- Advocate for and support newcomer youth community integration through creative programming initiatives.
- Train and supervise volunteers.
- Supervise weekly afterschool and drop-in activities at the Newcomer Youth Centre and in schools.
- Provide one-on-one support to newcomer youth to increase their awareness of resources and opportunities.
- Provide safe spaces and welcoming environment for newcomer youth.
- Ensure high standards of cultural and linguistic service delivery approach within an anti-racist/anti-oppression practice.
- Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect approach.
- Assist in program planning and evaluation.
- Liaison with community partners, youth serving organization for collaborative programming
- Provide reporting on activities, deliverables and outlined targets.
- Manage database to ensure accurate recording of information
- Any other task determined by Manager.
- Post-secondary education in social sciences field and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience in working with youth from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Sound knowledge of different issues facing newcomers to Canada, specifically refugee and immigrant youth.
- Proficiency in both English and Arabic is essential.
- Knowledge of other languages an asset.
- Experience in designing and facilitating workshops and presentations for newcomer youth.
- Flexibility regarding assigned work hours and location.
- Strong work ethic, leadership and the ability to multi-task.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of youth in a sensitive, respectful & non-judgmental manner.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, individually, and with minimal supervision.
- Access to a vehicle is desirable, but not mandatory.
- Good working knowledge of computer programs and systems (MS Office, Email and Internet).
- Knowledge of community resources.
Salary & Benefits: $41,000 – $43,500 annually. Comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental, an RRSP plan and a generous leave entitlement.
Application Deadline: August 20, 2021, by 5:00 p.m.
We encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.