Position: Employment Counsellor – Workshop Facilitator–Immigrant Women Mentoring Network (IWMN)
Term: 21 hours per week October 2021 – March 31, 2022
Reports to: Manager, Community Economic Development
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
As a member of the dynamic and growing Community Economic Development team, the incumbent will support immigrant and refugee women through the facilitation of Peer-to-Peer (P2P) support groups and tailored employment counselling sessions utilizing psychometric assessments. IWMN supports newcomer clients to obtain and maintain employment within their field, build confidence, increase networks and advance within their careers.
- Conduct client intake, assess client’s employment readiness, develop return to work action plans and support clients pre and post employment
- Provide one on one employment enhancing coaching; identify barriers to employment and assist clients with such matters as job readiness skills, job search strategies, writing résumés, preparing for job interviews and provide referrals to community partners
- Collect labour market information for clients regarding job openings, entry and skill requirements and other occupational information
- Administer and interpret psychometric assessments; Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and
- Strong Interest Inventory (SII) to determine the interests, aptitudes and abilities of clients
- Support outreach activities to engage newcomer women
- Review and enhance CED’s existing ‘Peer Support Models’ and facilitate P2P Circles
- Support the development of the IWMN website and program evaluation
- Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect management approach and anti-racism/anti-oppression policy within the work environment and in the community.
- University degree or college diploma in Career Coaching/Employment Counselling, Women Studies, Human Resources, Social Sciences or related field
- 3+ years of experience in the areas of employment supports/counselling, labour market integration for immigrants/refugees, specific experience supporting women an advantage
- Certified to deliver level B Psychometric Assessments; MBTI – Strong Interest Inventory
- Knowledge of the Canadian labour market trends and challenges faced by newcomers to Canada
- Effective interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills, 2+ years facilitating groups
- Experience working with community organizations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with mainstream computer applications, social media and database software. Website development an advantage
- Fluent in English – other languages desirable
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently and effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment with a positive attitude.
Salary & Benefits: $47,000 – 48,975 (prorated for part-time). Comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental, an RRSP plan and a generous leave entitlement.
Application Deadline: 5:00 pm (Eastern Time), Monday, September 6, 2021
We encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request.
If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.