Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization (OCISO) is hiring Multicultural Liaison Officers (MLO) in Ottawa, Ontario.
Position: Multicultural Liaison Officer (MLO)
Terms: 1 Full-time (35 hours per week), September, 2021 until December 31, 2021 – English, Arabic and Farsi speaking
1 Part-time (28 hours per week), September 2021 – June 2022 – English and Arabic speaking
1 Part-time (21 hours per week), September 2021 – Indefinite – English and Arabic speaking.
Reports to: Manager of the Multicultural Liaison Officer Program
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
The Multicultural Liaison Officer (MLO) provides settlement service, needs assessment, information and orientation session and service referrals for immigrant and refugee children and youth and their families within Ottawa schools. The MLO collaborates with schools administration and teachers to facilitate cross-cultural communication and ensure student integration and academic success.
- Provide settlement services, needs assessments, information and orientation sessions and service referrals to immigrant and refugee children and youth and their families
- Encourage and support parental engagement in their children’s education through workshops and information sessions
- Provide cultural interpretation and facilitate communication between school employees and newcomer families
- Connect newcomer students to school and community resources
- Provide cross-cultural information and education to teachers and administration within the schools and to service providers in the community to facilitate service access and support relationship building.
- Post-secondary education in social sciences, education, or a related field.
- Knowledge and experience in community outreach and service delivery within the social service sector.
- Experience in working with newcomer communities
- Proven ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment
- Knowledgeable of the Ontario Education System and ideally, the Ottawa Carleton District School Board and Ottawa Catholic School Board policies and practises.
- Proven skills in workshop development and facilitation
- Extensive knowledge of community resources
- Proficiency with current computer applications including the MS Office Suite, internet based productivity tools and databases
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written knowledge of English and other languages as follows:
- Full-time: (35 hours per week) – Arabic and Farsi speaking essential
- Part-time (28 hours per week) – Arabic speaking essential
- Part-time (21 hours per week) – Arabic speaking essential
- For all positions, Turkish and Kurdish language skills are an asset.
Salary & Benefits: $25.40/hr to $26.44/hr during the school year, with summers off. Comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental, an RRSP plan and a generous leave entitlement for indefinite employment.
Application Deadline: August 12, 2021, by 5:00 p.m.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request.
If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the Chief Human Resources Officer upon scheduling your interview.