Practices Forester – Western Forest Products – Campbell River, BC
Campbell River, BC
The Practices Forester plays a critical role in Western’s commitment to being a leader in sustainable forest management by providing forest stewardship, operational planning, certification, and environmental performance support to the Manager, Forest Stewardship and Operations Management team.This is accomplished by working closely with the entire Timberlands team on the standardized implementation and monitoring of Western’s Stewardship and Conservation Plan (SCP), Western Planning Standard (WPS), Environmental Management System (EMS), and Sustainable Forest Management (SFM) certification.You will develop strong collaborative relationships across all of Western’s Operations supporting the operational implementation of our industry leading forest stewardship practices and modernized operational planning processes.Success will require relationships built on trust, respect, proficiency, and professionalism.
Safety & Environmental Performance
- Provide leadership in safety and environmental stewardship by demonstrating and ensuring adherence to company safety and sustainability processes and procedures.
- Prepare project specific budgets, forecasts, monitor spending, and report results; and
- Recommend and implement effective and innovative strategies to drive cost efficiencies.
- Provide leadership to improve safety, ensure Western’s forest practices meet the highest standards, reduce operational costs, and maximize margins; and
- Support one Western culture across the timberland’s by leading through collaboration, respect, and trust.
- Proactively support the Timberlands Operations, Saanich Forestry Centre, Fibre Supply, and Log Allocation and Logistics groups with standardized implementation of Western’s forest stewardship practices, certification and sourcing standards, and operational planning processes;
- Design and maintain an efficient, effective, and integrated monitoring and verification program for key aspects of Western’s forest stewardship practices and operational planning processes;
- Lead the alignment of Western’s CSA Sustainable Forest Management plans with the Stewardship and Conservation Plan and Western Planning Standard;
- Organize and facilitate Timberlands Management Reviews aligned with the Corporate Management and Environmental Review Committee (MERC);
- Assist with the preparation of environmental incident reports including root cause analysis to inform system and process improvements;
- Report out weekly, monthly, and quarterly on Timberlands performance for key metrics;
- In coordination with the corporate Certification and EMS Manager, lead and support internal and external EMS and certification audits;
- Participate as an alternate for the Certification and EMS Manager on SFM committees for SFI and CSA.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in resource management, operational planning, and operations in increasingly responsible roles;
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Forestry or related degree or diploma in the Natural Resource Management fields;
- Current registration with the Association of BC Forest Professionals;
- Experience supervising or implementing timber harvesting and road construction plans is an asset;
- Experience in conducting audits of complex, multi-site/multi-standard EMS and SFM systems is an asset.
- Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Thorough knowledge of professional forestry obligations and technical forestry practices;
- Good understanding and comprehension of environmental management systems;
- Good comprehension of CSA and SFI sustainable forest management standards and systems;
- Sound understanding of forestry and environmental legislation;
- Proficient in the use of MS Office products;
- Ability to audit conformance to EMS and SFM systems;
- Proven ability to work in a team environment with good communication skills and an ability to speak confidently in a public setting;
- Willingness to travel to operations on a regular basis;
- Recognized EMS/SFM auditor training (i.e. SAI, PwC or KPMG) is considered an asset.
Job Type: Full-time