ABOUT PENGUIN BASEMENTS
Seeing a gap in the market, Penguin Basements was founded in 2011 by Guy Solomon to bring a standard of process and professionalism to a burgeoning industry. Learning from past experiences on both the professional and personal side, Guy believed that a company should rise above the competition by employing higher build standards, utilizing more suitable materials and implementing a proven build process (similar to that employed by housing developers) to deliver a better basement in terms of design, functionality, quality, and durability. He also felt this would be a company built for the long-term rather than one designed — like too many renovation companies — to cash in on the home improvement boom.
The philosophy remains true today, and Penguin Basements is constantly looking to improve our standards, materials, and processes to lead the industry forward, and to offer a better product to our customers. We call this our Smart Basements™ approach. In addition to winning the Basement Renovation of the Year Award in 2019, we are multiple Consumer’s Choice and HomeStars Best award-winner and more importantly, a BILD and Renomark™ certified company that continues to be fortunate enough to be professionally recognized and customer referred.
What We are Looking for: 2 Floor and Wall Covering Installers
As a Floor and Wall Covering Installer, you will be responsible for removing old floor and wall covering and installing new ones on client sites. You will be working with a team of professionals and may be asked to work on several projects at a time. Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of 1.5 years of experience in the trade – any related trade certification will be a great asset. In this position, you will be required to travel to job sites throughout the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) region and transportation is available for the entire team meeting at the head office.
What You’ll do:
· Conduct inspection and measure floors and walls areas square foot
· Examine and assess condition of current floors and walls and coverings prior to removal and installation
· Conduct moisture PH test prior to installation to determine proper materials to be used
· Prepare work area by marking targeted surfaces
· Properly dispose of existing hardwood floor and wall covers
· Cut and fasten underlay, underpadding and sheeting
· Prepare materials, including parquet and floorboards, for the installation
· Clean, repair and polish damaged floor coverings
· Conduct necessary tests after installation for quality assurance purposes
· Install transition and intricate patterns as per customer requests
· May return furniture and appliances, if necessary
· Conduct post-installation clean up after job completion and ensure all invoices are signed by customer
· May be asked to train new workers on the job
What we need:
· Minimum 1.5 years of floor and wall covering installation experience
· Experience working with different covering materials (hardwood, laminate, etc.)
· Trade Certificate or in the process will be a great asset!
· Ability to do high standard finishing work
· Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and specifications
· Be able to kneel, bend, stand, stoop and stretch for long periods of time
· Production mentality is a must in this role
· High awareness of health and safety practices
· Basic English language skills
· No minimum educational requirements
This is a full time, hourly position with our head office at 906 Magnetic Drive, North York, ON M3J 2C4. The hours of work will vary and could include days, evenings and weekends and you will be required to visit job sites.
Minimum of 30 hours per week for $21.50, overtime rate may apply after 44 hours of work per week. Extended medical and Dental insurance.
So what’s the first step to your exciting new career with Penguin?
We are accepting online applications and welcome all qualified people interested in this opportunity. While we appreciate and value all applicants, only those who will be selected to interview will be contacted.
Penguin Basement Limited is committed to supporting an inclusive, barrier- free recruitment and selection process in a work environment where all employees feel valued, respected and supported.